Spending too much time on Facebook? Do you go on Twitter to find out you’ve spent the last 10 minutes retweeting/favoriting tweets from celebrities and NOT working? I make a living out of social media marketing consultations with businesses and sometimes I personally want to take a break from all.
- Make Rules about how much time or where you will not be on Social Media. (i.e. while driving!)
- Purchase an Alarm Clock: avoid using your phone to check on the time, it’s temping to check your Facebook alerts and get delayed in the morning!
- Take a breather for a couple of days. I just did this during Christmas and it brought out some creativity about upcoming projects and I got to enjoy visiting (my) family.
- Take some time to think before posting. Find out what your motive really is for posting that specific picture. Who are trying to impress?
- Engage with that person offline! (Send a thank you note or call your friend who just announced her pregnancy vs. being the 100th person to “Like” her status update) They’ll appreciate it.
- Apps and Settings: Block the internet from your phone with apps such as Freedom or Self Control. Adjust your alert settings on your phone to avoid getting interrupted.